The Drowsy Chaperone – East High School Musical

By Zola Kambandu-Schilz

Green Bay East High School’s 2021 musical, The Drowsy Chaperone, is a comedic show, set in the roaring ‘20s that parodies aspects of broadway shows and is accompanied by an upbeat, jazz soundtrack, and elaborate, flourishing choreography. 

Joining the student cast are the pit orchestra, tech and backstage crew on opening night, Friday, November 5 and for the performances following on the 6th, 12th, and 13th of November. 

This year, the cast, pit orchestra, and crew have faced an interesting challenge in production, especially in the midst of a global pandemic. 

I think the biggest challenge has been the time constraints due to covid,” Anna Christopherson, a musician in the pit orchestra, said. “We have lost almost a whole month of rehearsal time because of delays with the initial announcement of the show and the auditions and casting.” 

But even with these new challenges, the cast persevered and worked hard to stay on track. 

“I hope our experiences this year are able to deepen the appreciation and excitement that comes with performing a musical here at East,” Christopherson said. 

Though the rehearsal conditions for the cast were a bit adverse this year, social distancing combined with a smaller time constraint than usual–the cast worked hard and were determined to get things done. 

Ethan Zuidmulder, who plays Robert Martin, said, “It has been fun spending time with the amazing cast, crew, and pit, and seeing the musical come together as we work as a team”. 

The cast is very excited to put on a performance for the audience, a performance that reflects their hard work and commitment. 

“I’m enthusiastic to perform this musical with my friends for an audience, and I’m very grateful to be able to perform on stage.” Said Amelia Bazett Jones, who plays the Drowsy Chaperone.