The Opposite Of Fetch (A Mean Girls 2024 Review)

By Jules Williams

In the new era of dressing Y2K, we have had a major blast from the past. 20 years after its release, Mean Girls is back and better (that’s a lie) than ever. Directed by Arturo Perez Jr. and Samantha Jayne, it hit theaters on January 21st. 

So let us start at the beginning of the movie. It opens up with Janis and Damian telling a cautionary tale of high school. Then it already takes a turn for the worse, Cady Heron opens her mouth and unlike Cinderella, the birds fly away in terror. Opening with her first (and unfortunately not last) solo song ‘What If’s’, we are introduced to the Plastics. Gretchen Wieners, Karen Shetty, and the goddess herself Regina George. After the Plastics invite Cady to have lunch with them, she starts to like them. She then meets Arron, Regina’s ex-boyfriend. That’s where the drama begins.

Now the advertisement for this movie seemed to be aimed at the people who are fans of the musical. As a fan of the musical, I give the soundtrack a 4.5/10. The music was too pop and not really musical theater. Like, for example, the song ‘Someone Gets Hurt’, on Broadway it really showcased Renee Rapps’ powerful voice and the true pivot of the musical. While in the movie, the production took over a ton and Renee’s voice was kind of hidden. However, there were a couple of good songs. Like ‘World Burn’, ‘Sexy’ performed by Karen, and ‘What’s Wrong With Me’ performed by Gretchen.

Plot-wise, it was 10/10. The original plot of Mean Girls has never been an issue. It’s classic and I love that they didn’t touch the plot at all.

On to the casting, 9/10. They did a fantastic job at casting…Except for Cady. I think by the end of choosing the actors, they just chose her because she looked like Cady, just that. Not bothering to know if she could sing or not. Sometimes throughout the movie, it looked as if singing brought her physical pain.

So would I recommend spending money to go see this movie? No, absolutely not. Wait for it to come out on Netflix or something. Just don’t waste your money, I did and I tried to ask for a refund.