Learning From Afar

By Chris J. Lopez-Henriquez

As a senior student now living in Puerto Rico, where most of my family resides, I have encountered many difficulties ranging from internet issues to challenges completing daily tasks in different time zones. 

In the beginning, switching environments and getting accustomed to the impoverished neighborhood I had not seen for eight years was a challenge. However, it was an important decision for both my family and me. 

My greatest fear during this unprecedented  time of virtual schooling was the forced extra responsibility on each student. It wasn’t a choice, but a fate everyone had to become accustomed to.

It wasn’t a smooth transition. It just happened. 

Textbooks on top of textbooks, notebooks, pencils, computers, and homework piling on top of homework. I found it imperative to keep up with my work and tests. It was OK at first, but the workload just kept increasing– abnormally, some may think. 

Not to say that online schooling was tough enough, but the workload was increasing at an accelerated pace because of final exams and classes being behind for more than 20 days, given that Wednesdays are now an off day for students to catch up on work, except even then, I still couldn’t catch up with my work. At this point, I’m not even aiming for that anymore. I had to make a decision on what was more important to me: school or my personal and mental health. I chose my personal and mental health. 

While I am usually always on top of things in regards to in-person school, the virtual schooling world is not for me, or anyone else in my opinion. And while I have not given up on school, I think it really helps us that we get to pick a “Pass” or “No Grade,” or a letter grade, if we choose to. That means less stress and anxiety. It means that  students  can finally focus on learning, rather than having to worry about meeting unrealistic deadlines and goals towards something I didn’t even choose to do– virtual school. 

Many people may think that I have an advantage to giving a bunch of excuses that would eventually become a pattern or a cycle for more excuses. And although  they might be right, I could, that is no way to prepare for my life in college as I aspire to become a doctor. 

Even though there are many challenges and obstacles that come with this unorthodox way of learning, I am succeeding at exceeding most of my expectations. I am doing enough to feel good about myself. During this time of uncertainty, that is imperative enough for me and it should be for all other students studying from abroad.