Avid Collage visits

By Guadalupe Rea

Advancement Via Individual Determination is a program designed to prepare students for college, especially those who fall into the academic muddle.

“Avid college visits have helped me by getting a preview of how college life is going to be, how college students life is and how classes are going to be. You get to see new colleges and tour around the campus which is really interesting to see and hear about the college history,” one Green Bay East student said. 

Students participating in the program have the opportunity to visit several different colleges to help them decide their future.

“Yes I have been liking the colleges we have been going to because you get to see a variety of colleges and it gives you ideas for the future when applying for colleges. Most of the colleges we have been going to have been really nice on the inside and outside,” another Green Bay East student said. 

Sometimes, a student quickly decided their favorite college.

“Madison was especially my favorite college because the campus is big and it has many activities to do. It also has the career that I want to do. And I also know people from there which is really nice,” said student Yuritzi Aranda.

Some students consider nearby amenities when deciding which college to go to, such as attractions in a city.

“Minnesota was my favorite because I really liked how the college was built like the structure of the buildings. Also the different courses you could take in that university. And the view of the city was really pretty. I also liked that we went to the Mall of America because that was my first time going there. It was really cool being there with my friends. The university was really nice overall,” said student Maria Banuelos-Delgado.

AVID instructors highly recommend students take full advantage of the program.

“There are so many benefits that our AVID students get to experience when we visit colleges. Not only do students have the opportunity to see different campuses and learn about what makes each school special, these visits also give them the chance to talk to university students and representatives, ask lots of questions, and get a feel for what they do and don’t like in a future school. Occasionally, our AVID students even get to sit in and experience actual college classes,” said AVID teacher Karen McGrath.

“Is AVID successful? Absolutely! Every year East’s AVID family celebrates our seniors as they graduate from high school and go on to college. We see their excitement and confidence, and we know that they are prepared to accomplish their educational and personal goals.”