Political Correctness and The Golden Rule

By Jackson Heller

Allow me to start, as may not be the most convincing in an editorial about the importance of being politically correct, with a disclaimer: I may not be the most politically correct person in the world. However, do not jump to conclusions. I do not go around laughing at stutterers or being racist and homophobic. With this in mind, it’s important to know that even as I am advocating for us all to be politically correct, there are moments when I myself falter with a cuss word or two. I don’t think the same can be said for Jon Gruden.

For those of you who may be unaware, former Las Vegas Raiders head coach stepped down after emails were found detailing homophobic and misogynistic remarks over a seven year period. Some specific examples include referring to the NFL’s commissioner as a homophobic slur, making sexist remarks about the emergence of female referees, and giving some very unsupportive feedback on the drafting of a gay player.

Before I start, I’m going to lay it all on the line: Gruden is fully in the wrong. What he said was both homophobic and sexist and has no place coming out of the mouth of someone at the head of a sports franchise, sent seven years ago or not. We still teach the bravery of those involved in the Boston Tea Party, and that was over 200 years ago.

Political correctness boils down to what some call “the golden rule”: Treat others how you want to be treated. While it seems ironic that hot topic issues in this country should be addressed with the same principles screaming preschoolers are addressed with, it is simply a tribute to how simple some of these matters are. 

Political correctness is just an adult version of the golden rule. Treat marginalized groups as you, part of a normally non-marginalized group, would want to be treated. Political correctness isn’t something that only politicians or rich people use; it’s a matter of simple courtesy. Political correctness is about equality. It’s about treating groups that are usually socially marginalized as normal people, especially when the person who is exhibiting political correctness is not marginalized. The person exhibiting political correctness is simply treating the marginalized person how they would want to be treated. Sound familiar?

Jon Gruden, as well as any misogynistic or homophobic person, was not treating the subjects of his emails how he would’ve wanted to be treated. In fact, he was going beyond that. He was treating them how nobody wants to be treated. The golden rule, as mentioned previously, is used for childlike manners—Sharing. Cleaning up. Things like that. Gruden’s emails have transcended the boundaries of the golden rule and delved into some more seemingly touchy subjects like homophobia and sexism.

However, I have a question. Why are these touchy subjects? To me, homophobia, sexism, ableism, racism, any sort of arguments supporting discrimination are the new preschool arguments. Arguing a black man should’ve been shot because he was holding a gun could very much be compared to a four year old arguing that it’s Jimmy’s turn to do the cleaning because he’s closer to the garbage can. Who cares who’s next to the garbage can? More importantly, who cares what someone’s sexual orientation, gender, disability, or race is?

If you truly exhibit political correctness, you would treat every person the same, regardless of who they are or who they may identify with. It’s a matter of simple human compassion for one another, and Gruden didn’t display simple human compassion. As a result, he rightfully paid the price, end of story.

As always, if you disagree with anything I just said, I encourage you to form your own opinion (researched and based in fact, of course). If you think Gruden should still be with the Raiders, let me know, and more importantly let me know why.